USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Location: Kern County, about 9 miles west of Kernville, 185 miles from Los Angeles
||Sequoia National Forest|
||Tobias Peak 7½, Alta Sierra 7½|
|Official HPS Maps
||TPO file -
Save to your computer then open with National Geographic TOPO!
||Viewable JPG file -
Approximately 1.8 megs|
||GPX file or Google Earth
KML file to
download to GPS units and other map software
(How to use GPX and KML files)
||Routes as shown on CalTopo using the above files
(How to use CalTopo)
Nearby Peaks: Bohna Peak, Black Mountain #5
- Distance: 3 1/2 miles round trip on trail
- Gain: 1000'
- Time: 2 hours round trip
- Rating: Class 1, moderate
- Navigation: Easy
- Leader Rating: "O", normal conditions
Original: Al Campbell, 1972
DRIVING ROUTE 1
- From Lake Isabella (city) drive north on SR 155 for 7.0 miles to
where it turns left in Wofford Heights.
- Drive 7.7 miles farther to Greenhorn Summit. Turn right (north) on
24S15. This is a dirt road just past a maintenance
shed. Note your odometer and go as follows:
- At 4.3 miles, Tiger Flat Campground. Keep straight on 24S15.
- At 6.6 miles, a road junction with a sign "Camp
Mountain Meadow GSA". Park here.
HIKING ROUTE 1
- A trail (31E66) starts just north of the parking area (7280'). Follow
it up the slope to the left, and then west past Portuguese Peak's
- Continue 1 1/2 miles to a trail junction (8100').
- Turn left (east) and follow the trail to the summit.